Sunday, September 27, 2009

Roi de Saba

Ever since I found David Lebovitz' blog and saw the movie Julie Julia, I have been making chocolate cake after chocolate cake. Anyone who is invited to dinner or who invites me to dinner gets a new version of the Reine de Saba cake (Julia) or the Rags to Riches chocolate cake (David). I have tweaked (not to be confused with tweeted) each recipe more than I care to admit as I get closer and closer to finding my own place in the chocolate cake kingdom.

Last week we were invited to dinner in Los Gatos at the home of our close friends Brian and Thierry. The stars were lined up perfectly that evening as we dined outside in the most beautifully "potscaped" terrace one can imagine. As ivy tendrils swept down across the bench on one side of the table splashes of light illuminated the other and we dined in the quiet harmony of this special garden. The menu demanded the best of the season's bounty and we savored each plate. I wondered what might be for dessert, feeling a bit bad that I hadn't offered to bring anything. I checked the kitchen counters with no clue to be found... Hmm. We cleared the dishes and reseated ourselves. And then, Thierry swept out the door and into our line of vision with the most beautiful chocolate cake that he had made! The Reine de Saba! He said that all my chocolate cakes had inspired him to make his own. With that we devoured the most moist, almond flavored chocolate cake ever! What a generous gift!
I hereby crown him the Roi de Saba!

No comments:

Post a Comment