Thursday, July 12, 2012

"Hold Your Breath!"

This is the picture of the cupboard where I hang my t shirt and bra each time I go to get my mammogram.  Today was the day. The clothing looks so innocent hanging there and as I close the cupboard door I wonder if I will be ok--be the same me, when I come back to open it again.

We women have to keep our sense of humor for this exam.  A breast on a tray?--almost laughable until that press comes down and removes any glimpse of a smile.  "Hold your breath!" the technician says. I want to tell her that I hold my breath for months leading up to my exam --praying that all will be well.
 But I don't say anything...I can't! I'm holding my breath!

Once this is over and I'm seated next to the doctor, I am grateful that he tells me right away that everything looks good.  I feel my breath start up again and I am so happy to see whatever he wants to show me on the screen.  We make small talk--usually about how amazing my mother is and how good my genes  are and I feel myself smiling easier.

Back to the cupboard I go---time to gather the "goods" and put them back where they belong. Tonight when I get home, I will  get my celebratory gold bra as I do every year and wear it for the rest of the day.  Breathe, I tell myself---good for another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment