Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Pie We Make



It's a summer day and it's a Sunday. That means pie night! When I was a young girl, my mother and our dear family friend Marian Hunter would each make several pies, Sunday pies. They were all made from scratch and delivered with love. My sister and I would stand at the table where they were all displayed and smile (drool!) at our good fortune. Of course, we could never decide which pie to choose so we did what any passionate pie lover would do--choose them all!  

Tonight, I have my daughter and two family friends for dinner and I decided to make pie for dessert. I got up early and went to the farmer's market to select the most beautiful organic berries and then I supplemented them with the berries that are growing wild on Greenwood Lane. I came home and started the crust and then remembered that I had never found my rolling pin in our moving boxes. How to roll out the dough? I had my father's beautiful pie board out and with him in my thoughts, looked up to see a vodka bottle and thought, that's it! Divine inspiration! It worked beautifully and with the leftover dough, I made the little crust that my mom made for me: (roll out the dough, spread it with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar-bake 10 min). This is my gift to Camille tonight.

In the process of making this pie, all the people who are so dear to me helped me along with their secrets--words that still play in my head.  I made my mother's crust and heard her tell me to make it thinner so it could be flaky. I remembered to brush milk on the crust so that it would be shiny and I chose the lattice work top to honor Marian.  I made berry pie as it is my mother's favorite and I loved rolling the crust on the pastry board my father made for me. I shed a tear here and there remembering him and Marian and wishing my mom were closer to share the pie--they have all contributed so much to my life. The vodka rolling pin added the humor and made me think that we are the pie we make! 









It

No comments:

Post a Comment