Sunday, May 3, 2009

April in the City

Usually on my birthday, I like to spend a quiet day alone.  I gather both my thoughts and my wits to be ready to move forward into a new year.  It's windy this day in San Francisco and as I am pushed around Union Square I keep passing in front of the corner hot dog stand.  The vendors are usually students trying to make a buck and today is no exception.  They are young, smiling and dancing around to upbeat music to stay warm.  The smell of the sausages cooking gets into my soul and I decide that one will be my lunch.  There is no one at the stand when I approach so they are very happy when I order, pay and tip!  I prepare my hotdog the way I like it with lots of ketchup, relish and a smattering of mustard. I stand in the sunshine on the street next to the stand and take my first bite.  My eyes are closed and my head is tilted back to take in the sun's warmth and I utter a quiet sigh of delight.  Simple pleasures!  I open my eyes to see a line forming at the stand now.  The young vendor smiles at me and thanks me for bringing all the business!  "You are the best advertising ever!" he laughs.   
So this is how my 52nd year begins...the message is:  give a little, get a little; get a little and give a little until it becomes something big!

No comments:

Post a Comment