Sunday, April 11, 2010

Upstairs, Downstairs

Valiant Bouzette! Always trying to keep up with Charlotte and forever trying to please her family. Just shy of 14, she is an amazing picture of energy and enthusiasm! There are some signs of wear but I keep hoping that I am mistaken, and the child in me is sure that she will go on forever. Ever the caregiver, Bouzette looks out for Charlotte, keeps up with her morning walks with Alain and keeps track of me when I am alone in the house. And she has always finshed her day by making it up the tall staircase to our bedroom so that we can all sleep peacefully together in one place.
Seeing them in their beds so cozy offers more comfort to me than a thousands words could ever begin to attempt. And seeing Bouzette on her balcony watch post just makes me smile. She is so happy there where she can see the world pass by and know that she is guarding our home and keeping her family safe.

But Friday came along and just like that, a change in Bouzette with it. No loud bells and whistles, just a quiet fatigue. Her legs became like jelly and she could no longer head up the stairs with me. She looked at me as we stood at the bottom of the staircase and made it very clear that she had lost her confidence and her footing. Her big brown eyes surrounded in white were staring at me with an apology that filled mine with tears. I went up without her and brought her bed down. She looked so grateful. And so, last night was the first night in many years, that I slept without my beloved Bouzette. She has found her new spot in the guest room quite cozy and now I must learn to accept that our life of upstairs,downstairs has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment