Friday, October 18, 2013

Travelling Home: A Dream


Finally, in a very deep sleep, I dreamed of him.  It has been two years since he left us to travel the heavens and light the stars and whenever he comes to visit me in my dreams, I am grateful.
 I miss him.

It was night when the gathering outside finished and I returned to the table to make sure all the candles had been extinguished.  The crickets were in full chant and there was a bit of a chill in the night breeze. The chill moved around me starting from my toes and finishing near my shoulders--it made my shoulders lift and my head look up to the stars.  Before I could register it, he was standing next to me.  I'm never startled by these visits; they seem quite natural.  He had a small box with him and as he put it in my hand he said, " I need your help. Open the box!"  I lifted the lid slowly and inside was the most beautiful round cut, pale blue stone I had ever seen.  In its center was a sunset pink color that swirled like liquid and I wondered if I was looking at a piece of heaven.  He asked me to take it and put it on her finger... that in doing so, it would allow him to come home.  He wanted to come home. I took the box in my hand and we smiled at one another lovingly.  

While the dream ended there, fragments of it have stayed with me for days.  We have all been far from home at some point, wanting to get back--dreaming of all that is home.  As I continue to search for my own understanding of it, I imagine a place where all the hearts of our loved ones gather-- a kind of love compound where we can visit at will.  Whether it's a night lit by candles or a day warmed by the sun, we can travel there as long as our hearts and minds stay open to all those we love.

Dream! Let your heart be the box... open it and travel home.

1 comment:

  1. Carla, Your writing is so moving. It made me think that Dave wanted you to tell Shari that he will be with her through all the days and nights. Once she understands that, he will be home. I hope we all keep our hearts open to his love. xo c.

    ReplyDelete