Saturday, March 28, 2009

Tartans, Crumbling Ruins and Wind


Seagulls screeching above the wind's whistle, white caps in abundance and the hope of an errant ray of sun who has stepped away from the clouds to offer a sign of peace...a sign of Spring.  I shiver in my bed as the electric heater on the wall decides to take the night off.  I decide to get up and have breakfast in the restaurant downstairs...surely it will be a warmer room.  To know me is to know that I never leave my room for breakfast....that's how cold my room is!  I bundle up in two sweaters, socks, wraps..anything that will help me to warm up.  I walk into the breakfast room and it is as cold as my bedroom.  I should have realized when I saw the vacant room, that it wasn't habitable!  Who would sit and freeze while dining?  I sit by the fireplace hoping that she might light it but she says it hasn't been working since last year...hmmm... I manage to politely finish my tea and compliment her on the poached eggs and then I disappear back to my room and huddle by the wall heater...my feet wrapped in my wool scarf!  When my daughter, Camille, earns her degree here, I am going to present her a medal of honor for making it through 4 years of this weather!  Amazing!  The salt from the North Sea removes years from the lives of the ruins in town but could add years to the faces of anyone living in proximity.  Camille says that sometimes it all just beats one's spirit down and her spirit is one of the strongest I have ever known.  Scotland is rugged and poetic and the people are very kind, but beyond the tartans, I would be hard pressed to find the beauty to keep me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment