Thursday, March 11, 2010

La Verite~ The Truth

You know that I love Paris. I love Paris! But this time, I feel like I'm struggling to get along with a old lover.
Parisians are sharp and pointy right now....aggressive, even.
In my favorite cheese shop, Barthelemy, Nicole (the owner) lost it and started yelling at one of her helpers. All I did was request two of my favorite artisan yoghurts and the fact that their removal left a gap in the line up on the shelf, started a yelling match between them. I paid and scooted out with my head down, trying to avoid the controversy. I felt like I was in a live game of chess....something was moved and something else took over!
Did I already mention sharp and pointy? I make my point!
Yes, Paris is roaring like a lion...no one likes the cold and the weather is unlike any March weather in centuries. People are frowning, growling, screaming and insulting ...a veritable grab bag of emotions.
When I feel unsettled, I need to head someplace peaceful. I heard the Luxembourg calling out to me. It is so cold, but I bundled up and sat in a chair to feel the warmth of the sun.
Empty chairs were never so inviting. No people! Close your eyes and open them again to this beauty!
Shadows became art....how could I not smile?
With all the calm settling over me, I left the garden and walked back to my hotel. In my survival kit is my eye for beauty. Beauty saves me time
and time again. On this visit, Paris is writing prose not poetry. And like in any relationship, I will close my eyes to parts I don't like so that I can remember what it is I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment