Monday, June 14, 2010

Tools

My father, Adam, is a perfectionist. As a hobby, he has always worked with wood making beautiful furniture and accessories. When I think of my dad, I smell sawdust and hear the saw grinding. For all the years I have travelled home, I looked forward to seeing his new projects, tried to be patient while he was explaining his detailed techniques and quite simply, to smelling the wood curls that lay all over the floor. Now when I go home the first thing I see is this sign, "Tools for sale". In the same way he has always organized his workspace so perfectly, he has begun to display and sell his tools. I appreciate this and at the same time I am saddened by it. With each tool that sells, another memory seems to go with it. I have reserved some of his special tools...can't bear to have them sold and even though I don't know how to use them, I will always know that he did. Lovingly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment